During sleep, the muscles in charge of keeping the upper airways open become relaxed; the airway narrows and the airflow is restricted. The resulting vibration of the soft tissues produces the snore.
Sometimes the lack of airflow can cause a drop in oxygen saturation levels. The brain is then alerted of this drop, which will cause interruptions of sleep during the night. This can lead to the what is known as Sleep Apnoea syndrome. Its main symptoms are loud and chronic snoring, interruptions in breathing and a strong sensation of not having had a good night sleep.
Other symptoms that may be associated are sleepiness, overall tiredness, irritability, anxiety, depression; you may suffer lack of concentration and may even doze off at the wrong time and place… Sleep apnoea also increases the risk of suffering certain systemic illnesses, so it can upset the social, work and personal life of those suffering it. The frequency of sleep apnoea in people over 45 is of 6% in men and 4% in women.
Having it properly diagnosed is key, just as much as having all the necessary tests performed by the proper specialists.
From then on, it is a matter of looking for and finding solutions. Our Dental Clinic offers OrthoApnea, an intraoral device indicated for the treatment of snoring and sleep apnoea syndrome. The action mechanism is based in a controlled advancement of the jaw, thereby increasing muscular tone in the airway, which increases the airflow and eliminates snoring. This improves the apnoea episodes and translates in a considerable improvement in the quality of life of the patients.
Its main features are:
- It is custom-made for each patient, with an ergonomic and comfortable design that makes it easily adjustable.
- It is easy to use, and it allows for all movements of the mouth, even lateral, and functions like talking, drinking, coughing, among others.
- It is made of totally biocompatible materials.
- It is indicated in the treatment of snoring, as it enables adequate breathing.
- Also indicated in obstructive sleep disorders like apnoea.